What is the City & Guilds Organisation?
With over 500 qualifications in 26 different professions and 2,000,000 candidates annually, City & Guilds is the largest non-profit organisation for education and certification of vocational expertise and skills worldwide. The organisation was established in London in 1878 and has a dynamic presence in 100 countries, through a network of 8,500 Registered Centres.
To whom are the City & Guilds certifications aimed at?
The City & Guilds certifications are aimed at candidates who wish to work, study or travel abroad.
Which of the certifications are available in Greece?
The certifications available in Greece are the following:
- International English for Speakers of Other Languages (IESOL)
- International Spoken English for Speakers of Other Languages (ISESOL)
The IESOL and ISESOL qualifications cover 6 different levels, which are fully aligned with the specifications of the levels of the European Framework of Reference (CEFR) of the European Council. The levels and the corresponding titles are as follows:
Common European Framework
City & Guilds
C1 Effective Operational Proficiency
A2 Way stage
What are the benefits of the City & Guilds certifications?
- The City & Guilds certifications are recognised by ASEP (Supreme Council for Civil Personnel Selection in Greece)
- The City & Guilds certifications are globally recognised.
- Each candidate can sit the exam whenever he/she feels ready since exams take place 6 times a year.
- The written and oral exams are independent of each other: the results of one do not affect the results of the other
- The marking of the written exams is done by specialised evaluators who are native English speakers.
- The duration of the exam is short.
- The contents of the exams are based on research, statistic analysis, detailed performance.
Which is the difference between International IESOL and International ISESOL?
They are two independent exams each candidate can take whenever he/she feels ready. The International English for Speakers of Other Languages Certification (IESOL) tests the candidate’s ability to understand the English language through the listening, reading and writing tests whereas the International Spoken English for Speakers of Other Languages Certification (ISESOL) tests the candidate’s ability to conduct a conversation in English (speaking).
Can candidates participate in the International IESOL and ISESOL Exams in different examination periods?
It is up to each candidate. His/her participation in both exams can take place in the same or separate period. The results of one do not affect the results of the other (for example if a candidate successfully passes the IESOL exam and fails the ISESOL exam, he/she will only need to retake the ISESOL). In order to obtain the certification in every level is it necessary that candidates have passed both exams (for example success in the IESOL Mastery and ISESOL Mastery exams for getting hold of the C2 Certificate).
Are the City & Guilds Certifications recognised?
The City & Guilds IESOL and ISESOL are recognised by:
- The Greek public sector and ASEP (Supreme Council for Civil Personnel Selection in Greece)
- The private sector in Greece and in 100 other countries
- High educational institutions in Great Britain, Europe and USA.
How often are exams held in Greece?
Exams are held every two months, i.e. six (6) times every calendar year. There are specific dates which are announced at www.cityandguilds.gr
Where can a candidate get prepared?
Each candidate may choose the way he/she will obtain the necessary knowledge in order to successfully pass the City & Guilds exams.
Can a candidate take an exam without having had any lessons?
Yes, if a candidate believes he/she has the Syllabus knowledge of the certification he/she is interested in.
What information is given with the result announcement?
Candidates who fail their exams receive a detailed report on their performance, which outlines their areas of weakness. This information therefore helps candidates once again prepare more effectively for their next exams.
When and how do candidates get their certificates?
The certificates are published and then sent to candidates within approximately 4-6 weeks after the publishing of the results.
How long do the certificates last for?
The City & Guilds certifications never expire.
What procedure must a candidate follow in order to participate in the City & Guilds exams?
A candidate who wishes to participate in the City & Guilds exams must turn to:
- An Authorised City & Guilds Centre
- His/her English Teacher
- The City & Guilds organisation by filling out:
o The registration application
o The online registration application
What is the cost of each City & Guilds certification for a candidate?
You may find the cost of the exams per level here